Tuesday 14 May 2019

Weekend in May



Aquilegia
                     
Hello there, I hope you are well. I've been reading the May issue of my magazine and it's made me ponder the good things this month.

                               MAY ISSUE   Buy,     download    or  subscribe   View the sampler  here

                          Relish:-

The simple pleasures of a warm sunny day

We've just had 
some amazing weather this weekend in Lincolnshire and to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine was heavenly. So good in fact that on Sunday, we decided to brush off the BBQ and whip up a feast and eat alfresco. Food seems so much better when eaten outside, thankfully we weren't pestered by midges and flies. 

Remembering sun cream, insect repellant and heel cream for wearing sandals
If you're familiar with Lincolnshire UK at all, you'll know that due to the many dykes with standing water, mosquitos are more than a nuisance here.  Many a newcomer has complained about them as they limp to the doctors surgery with an infected swollen bite. It's quite alarming watching the infected areas swell, especially in children.

Teen 1 and his girlfriend 

The season of exams
The teens played swingball and grass bowls with teen 1 girlfriend before and after the BBQ. We are not wearing slippers outside at all! Thinking of UK children and teens taking their SATS, GCSE's and A Levels. Thankful for those teachers who give positive input into their lives and praying a blessing back on them for their dedication.

Newly planted 

Enjoying beautiful flowers
Realising that next season we'll have to get some new hanging baskets. I like these wicker style ones, the rustic look.

New growth after being cut back hard

Long evenings
I'm not sure what this plant is called, husband calls them weeds but I like them. The flowers are dark pink which give such lovely colour now that the daffodils have finished. I had cut them right back to about 6" off the ground only 4 - 6 weeks ago.

Forget Me Not

Of creating memories together as a family
Forget Me Nots - their horticultural name is Myosotis and comes from the Greek, meaning mouse ear. There are many interesting facts about them online, such as - True love, fidelity, a long and lasting connection as well as the well known 'remembering' someone. 


Loved ones
Whilst being mindful of suffering, illness and sadness close to home or far away.
My Mother in law continues with her Chemo treatment. Cancer is such a wicked illness. 

Solomon's Seal


Feeling content and at peace
Knitting and reading my book outside whilst listening to the birds and people mowing their lawns.



Embracing kindness and a friendly disposition, to encourage and build up 
Is May a good month for you?

Do you take time to simply live in the moment?

Is there something you'd like to add to my list?

You've probably noticed that I didn't add planning a holiday. This was deliberate as I concentrated on thinking 'in the moment.'

Have a good week wherever you are, whatever the weather.
Bye for now Cathy x



                                                  




22 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post! Good reminder as I'm in the middle of sorting through an unorganized mess of photos to make one of those "thru the years" displays for my son's graduation party. Hope you are having a great week so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean, all the best with your son's graduation celebration plans. Enjoy the party, Cx

      Delete
  2. So many things to be thankful for and such a joy to write them down and read them later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when you stop and think. For me, over the years I've rarely sat outside for long. It's important to 'just be' sometimes. We're always busy, busy. Take care, Cx

      Delete
  3. I think we're more inclined to just sit and be a while when the weather's good, it encourages us to slow down, look around us and be thankful. I do love the long evenings and another thing I love is listening to the birdsong, it's wonderful to sit outdoors and hear nature around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jo, though I do have a chair in the greenhouse that I sit in occasionally on a sunny but windy day. It's quite nice, Cx

      Delete
  4. A lot of things to be grateful for, and my very best wishes to your mother-in-law as she continues with her treatment. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post Cathy. I love all the photo's of your beautiful flowers and Solomon's Seal can be added to the list for my own garden, just need to think where to plant one but it a definite must have. I don't get much chance to sit for long in the garden at the moment. If I'm out there I'm usually doing something. Looking forward to the time when I can do more sitting and maybe reading out there.

    Hope you're MIL is doing ok with her treatment and yes it's not a very nice disease to have.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitzi & for your well wishes. I'll let you into a secret with the sitting outside. It's taken the last few years for me to think yes, sit down for a while outside. If for example it's a nice day that's warm enough to sit down, I'll get out the chairs and a table, maybe eat lunch outside and then sit a while. Over the years the time spent sitting has lengthened. Jobs will always be there both inside and out but it's ok to sit and enjoy it, if only for a little while. If there's no chairs out, I'm less likely to sit. All the best with your gardening plans, Cx

      Delete
  6. You _do_ have mosquitoes over there! They are such a bane here. Plus, I am especially "delicious" to them! -sigh- If I am around, they find me. -sigh-sigh-sigh-

    You have picked a lovely topic... To notice and be grateful for, so many things, in our lives. Pay more attention to them, than to our groans. So wise a way, to try to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are annoying aren't they W.O.W. Thank you, I'm hoping that I'll notice more all year and not just on a sunny warm day, Cx

      Delete
  7. It's nice to see what is blooming in your world.. I did the same blog post of my flowers today. And I also shared some sad things too. ((hugs)), Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. I've visited your blog and left good wishes. I hope and pray that Dayle recovers quickly. Cx

      Delete
  8. A week at the seaside gave me the opportunity to enjoy the slower days last week, it was lovely to wander along the shoreline, listen to the birds, sit and just take in the lovely atmosphere. I'm also enjoying a daily meditation and finding it helps to be calmer. A little quiet craft time and reading in the conservatory too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we all benefit from slowing down a bit, it's good that you've found something to help on a daily basis. When the teens were primary school age, everyday I'd sit and read for half an hr before rushing out to collect them. A habit now sadly neglected. Cx

      Delete
  9. May has been nice so far! I'm sorry about your MIL, my mom died of cancer in 1998, I still miss her. You have such pretty flowers and views, I walked around my yard and took in our minimal flowers, so we went out and bought some perennials to add more color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arh bless you Karen, I'm very sorry. There's always things to do in the garden, I really do need to find my green fingers and do some weeding, Cx

      Delete
  10. This is a very soothing post! Apart from the bit about your mother-in-law's chemo, obviously; I wish her well. I love everything else about it, even the insect repellent, and I think your dark pink flowers might be red valerian? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Tiggywinkle, I've made a note of the Red Valerian. Cx

      Delete
  11. What an interesting post.I just love all the Beautiful flowers,am a huge fan of Aquiligia.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, they are pretty and very delicate, Cx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...