Tuesday 14 March 2017

Turning corners with granny squares.



These beautiful daffodils are still blooming nicely beside the amaryllis. The Christmas present that promises to keep on giving. It's fascinating to watch each day as the shoot grows taller, seeking light. I don't think I've ever grown one of these before, though I've bought many as presents for people. It'll be interesting to see how it gets on and if it's as gorgeous looking as the photograph on the box. 



I can't help but think flowers look better outside, albeit a lot less of an impact than a bunch of blooms in a vase. They just look so natural in their woodland sort of setting. I love the trumpets on daffodils, so bold and shouty! 














QT isn't phased at all with outdoor plants and their natural beauty, all he's interested in (apart from bird watching) is eating grass. He's never out for very long and refuses to use the cat flaps that were put in especially for him. Instead we open doors the soon as he peers his face through the glass sitting forlornly on the bench, or sits waiting by the patio doors. He is a dear lovely happy boy that I'm sure wishes he wasn't loved as much as he is. He prefers sleeping to cuddles and is definitely not a lap cat even though we tried training him with Dreamies. He just thinks 'it's biscuit time - no time for cuddles'.

Outside at the weekend, the big tidy up has begun in earnest with wood being chopped into logs, the patio scrubbed jet washed, scrubbing it was just too hard work! I swept off the drive today, teen 2 even noticed when he arrived home from school.


I've put these granny square photographs together whilst continuing my experimenting with the SLR camera. The idea in this sequence was to show the steps on starting, continuing and finishing a corner. I've not given all the steps for a granny square at this stage. This is the way that I turn a corner on the humble granny square, there are probably lots of different ways to do this. I always like to find the simplest method that is straightforward and can be learnt quickly without constant reference to a pattern.
Having looked in books that give instructions for granny squares, I've found them to take the easy option and get you to just change colour for the new starting corner, thereby doing a slip stitch to join a new colour. The instructions would then follow 3 ch, 2tr, 2 ch, 3 tr. So they've done the whole first corner at once. Hope that makes sense. I'll stop now as I don't want to confuse but fear I may have already.

Do let me know in the comments if this way works for you.

Having finished the previous round (square), first chain 3- (this stitch counts as 1 tr). 


 tr 1 st into the corner,

tr another st into that same space, this completes the first 3 tr cluster.

continue along the straight side with 1 chain stitch between each 3 tr st cluster.



At the corner (after the last 3 tr cluster), ch 2, then crochet another 3 tr into this same space, this makes a turn at the corner. 


Then continue as before, 1 ch, 3 tr.


At the last corner, after the last 3 tr cluster,



ch 2 st

Join the square with a slip stitch to the first (starting) 3 tr cluster. 


Your completed round (square) should look like this.


An update with the Attic24 Moorland blanket, I'm loving crocheting this, the colours are lovely and it's nice to see a change from the greens dominating the lower half. The purples and pinky heathers are a delight after the earthy hues. I am having to concentrate on it though and often end up unpicking some which delights QT. What is it with cats and wool! He won't play with his own toys or anything attached to a length of yarn, it seems wool is fair game.


Thinking I was fairly confident with the pattern now I settled down to crochet whilst watching a film
I went with Four weddings and a funeral. With it's highs and lows and laugh out loud and cringy moments... well, lets just say the cat got to play with the wool again. Oh dear.


Have you spotted the green stitch marker lurking in this last photo, more like a safety pin for crochet as opposed to a regular knitting stitch marker. This was found to be invaluable when packing the blanket away, crochet hooks just don't seem to hold the yarn loop. Or at least not for me!


Please let me know if you have any queries about anything, do leave a comment and let me know what project you're working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...