Friday 3 May 2019

Up the garden path - It's Friday



Hello there, it's Friday! I hope you are all well. My flowers were a gift from M last week, they're still bringing cheer but are just starting to droop. It's been a funny old week with an appointment at the Dieticians and feeling ill on Wednesday night and most of Thursday. I'm feeling much better now.

The Knit & Natter group took to the road and went on a trip to a wool factory, which is essentially a 'small' warehouse. Lots of lovely squishy balls of wool and patterns were brought home by several members, me included. I bought four balls of yarn, a pattern for another project and 2 balls of cotton yarn, which I'll show you another time. We finished by visiting a cafe for a cuppa and something to eat. I had a slice of delicious Lemon Meringue Pie, before heading home to start some more knitting.
Though the group didn't meet for their usual session with a drink, the trip was fun and we still did the natter part of the Knit & Natter, so that was good.

I've mentioned IBS and the Low Fodmap diet before and people often ask what is that? I've collected some links and basic quick information that may help you, if you are interested in this.
These are the booklets that are used in Lincolnshire NHS to determine which FODMAPs need reducing or eliminating. The Monash University founded in Melbourne Australia, have led the way with research into IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), they found that Fodmaps are short-chain carbohydrates that are rapidly fermented and can be poorly absorbed.
Interestingly Monash University are also known for IVF, seat belts in cars and influenza drugs. 


Fodmaps are -
F Fermentable
O Oligo-saccharides (fructans & galacto-oligosaccharides)
D Di-saccharides (lactose)
M Mono-saccharides (fructose)
A And
P Polyols (sugar alcohols - mannitol and sorbitol)

Here is a snippet of what foods are in each of these groups.

I've recently been testing the last food group for me, which is GOS and why I was ill. After testing all of these - I am intolerant to Sorbitol which is 'part of' the polyols group and GOS (short for) Galacto-oligosaccharides, though I can tolerate a very small portion for a day.
Strangely I was ok with the wheat test initially (tested over a yr ago) but am now unable to eat bread for more than one day. I can eat crumpets and wraps but not so much the crackers and bread for more than a day at a time. Whether the soya flour found in bread has appeared since I first tested it I don't know. Soya is part of the GOS group. Regardless, I've come a long way in finding out what I need to reduce or avoid. I just need to test dates and pistachio nuts, then lastly (not fodmap foods) tomatoes, peppers and spicy foods.



Before I start anymore knitting eg new yarn or continuing my purple jumper, I felt like revisiting this yarn that I'd won in a raffle a very long time ago. I'm making a waistcoat but I don't really have a pattern. The pattern that I'd bought from a wool shop was for super chunky, whereas this is a much thicker yarn. You'll notice that the yarn has already been knitted into a tube. It's still available and there are several patterns online to buy. The waistcoat is a fairly boxy type shape, how hard can it be. Basically I'm using this pattern as a guide only. It's growing fast on size 12mm and 15 mm needles, I'll see how it goes over the weekend. 

I disturbed QT sleeping


Mr QT looking cute on his my bed. Such super long whiskers, even his eyebrows touch his whiskers. Which speaking of Whiskers or rather Whiskas, that's what he's happy to eat 'at the moment.' It's fine chunks and quite smelly. We mash it well with a fork otherwise he'll just lick off the jelly. Both the teens have put boards across their doors to dissuade him from coughing up a fur ball in their rooms. Sometimes he jumps over the top, so it's always a bit of a shock to see him sleeping on their beds. QT is looking out the window in the second picture.  

book cover of Elegy for Eddie

I'm listening to another Maisie Dobbs mystery on audio, very slow but enjoyable. Maisie and her close team of assistants, friends and police at Scotland yard are involved in trying to solve two crimes. It sounds like she has some personal decisions to make and it'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

New path 2019
M has been working outside on a new path to connect the patio area to the main garden path. The photo below shows how it used to look albeit it was under snow last year. Sorry, I couldn't find another before photo. The two conifer trees that we string the Christmas lights on have been removed to lay the path and in front of them (the soil) will now be grass. The trees hid the bins but the roots were lifting the slabs making them dangerous to trip over.

Christmas trees 2018

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
From a sleepy QT and me, have a lovely weekend.
Cathy x

18 comments:

  1. A busy week but sounds like a successful trip to the Wool Factory.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the trip was very successful, the yarn was exactly what I wanted. Cx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers. Mick's auntie bought me a gorgeous bouquet four weeks ago and I just threw them away yesterday, they lasted so long. How lovely having a trip to a wool factory, I bet it was like being in a sweet shop with lots of temptation to buy. Finding out which food groups you're allergic to sounds like a lot of trial and error, I hope you've got it all sorted out now and that you're feeling better. Lovely photos of QT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better thanks Jo. It's a pain eating things you know will probably make you ill but before I knew about this diet, I was always poorly and tired. Nearly there. QT is awesome, Cx

      Delete
  3. I suffered from all sorts of IBS symptoms, for years.

    Finally decided to go Gluten Free.

    Didn't get "tested."

    Didn't have to!

    I was free of my IBS issues!

    Always like to say this, to others with IBS. May not work for them, but it certainly did for me.

    What can it hurt, to cut out allllllllll forms of Gluten for a few weeks? If it is the trigger, freedom from IBS, will be a wonderful discovery. :-) If no difference, you can go back to searching for others.

    Also, I am Lactose Intolerant. That I had tested. Silly me, even though I _knew_ I was. I can have _some_ Lactose, with the use of Lactaide-like pills.

    Just sayin'......... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been gluten free before but was still ill and tired. For me gluten and wheat are ok but not bread day after day. I think it's probably the barley and soya in the breads that are part of the GOS group, these do not suit me at all. I think that's why crumpets and wraps are ok day after day as they are free of soya and barley.
      I'm not expecting the tomato, pepper and spice test to go well having kept a very detailed diet sheet before.
      Thanks for sharing your ideas, Cathy x

      Delete
    2. I wish you all the best, in finding relief, from your issues!!!!! I guess I was very lucky, to have found mine, with going G/F. But like with everything, we are individuals.

      Keep trying to find, what lets _you_ feel better.

      Gentle hugs...

      Delete
    3. Thank you, it's tedious but worth it Cx

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're feeling better now and I hope you are able to find out exactly what's causing the dratted IBS, it's really hard to avoid soya nowadays, they add it to so many foods. Your outing to the wool factory sounds fab, it's the sort of place I would go to and just haemorrhage money! M's done a cracking job on the path, but won't you miss the lights at Christmas? I hope the weekend has been full of knitting. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs Tiggywinkle, you're right soya is in so many things, though soya lecithin is fine. Yes we'll miss the lights but it was becoming dangerous with the roots lifting so many slabs. We do have blue icicle lights over the other side of the patio. We'll need to see or maybe not bother this year. Now the teens are older, I'm not sure they are that bothered about the lights outside. Though they may just surprise me and want some lights out, Cx

      Delete
  5. I am sorry you have all of those digestive challenges! My sister and dad is celiac and while I tested negative (yay) I am sensitive to whole wheat. I hope you eventually iron out all that you can tolerate. I love your kitty! Your mom gave you beautiful flowers and I wish I was working on my sweater but I'm waiting for a skein of yarn to arrive in the mail to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, nearly there. Both teen 1 and myself have been tested negative for celiac thankfully. It was when he was a toddler that I noticed our symptoms were similar. QT is fabulous and gets requests to appear on the blog occasionally. I hope your yarn arrives soon. I'm trying to get a few things finished before starting new projects... Cx

      Delete
  6. Your interest groups sound like a lot of fun when you combine them with an outing or refreshments afterwards. I hope that now you've got a good idea of what causes your digestive problems you'll be able to make informed choices about what to eat and feel better for it. I have a Jacqueline Winspear novel (the latest) on loan from the library. I thought I would try one after reading about the series on of your blogs. I'm enjoying it although probably it would be best to start at the beginning of the series. The re-worked path is looking good. There's always something to do in the garden, not just planting new plants. I mentioned to Mr P that maybe we should build a small greenhouse to replace the plastic one and he's all for it with the help of local grandson when the school term is finished....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying the Jacqueline Winspear novels. A full dated list in order can be found on www.fantasticfiction.com - it's my go to when I want to see other works by authors. I'm working through the free audio ebooks on the library app at the moment, there's only a selection listed. Later I may read some of the first ones. You're right, there's always something to do in the garden. All the best with the greenhouse. Cx

      Delete
  7. This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I've found something which helped me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colour of that yarn is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Anna, it is lovely but the yarn when knitted, it is so thick. I've put it to one side but will come back to it later and make a shawl. The pattern with this yarn shows a twisted shawl. Cx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...