Tuesday 11 July 2017

Book reading


Front Cover


Apart from continuing with crochet work, recently I've been spending time reading. It's probably because it's summer and not wanting to be buried under the woolly blanket that I'm crocheting.

First off was the June book club read. I thought it'd be wise to read this one first before turning to my other books. Below are some questions for the book based on a generic set I found on-line. This book is part of a set called 'The Four Seasons Collection' the series is found here.


A Spring Affair  Questions

1. Your experience - what are your thoughts about the title? How would you describe the book eg how did it make you feel? Were you engaged with it immediately or did you take a while to get into it?


2. Describe the main characters, their motivations, inner qualities. Are they justified, do you admire or approve of them?

3. Are the main characters dynamic - changing or maturing by the end of the book? Do they learn about themselves, how the world works and their role in it?

4. Discuss the plot - is it interesting, a fast pace page turner or does the plot unfold slowly. Were you surprised by anything, or was the story predictable?

5. The books structure - Is there a single viewpoint or shifting viewpoints?


6. Did you enjoy this book and would you read anymore of Milly Johnson's books.



                                                  book cover of 

Summer in Orchard Valley

Last week I read 'Summer in Orchard Valley' details here. It's a typical Debbie Macomber romance novel. An easy quick read that I've read before but wanted to re-read as it's a summer title. The book is split into 3 parts with each of the sisters featuring in a separate book. I love Debbie's books so will often fall back on her many many titles. They are not by any stretch described as deep, strenuous or meaty, instead they are comfortable and familiar.

book cover of 

Summer Wedding Bells

Next I read Summer Wedding bells which continues with two of the characters from 'Summer in Orchard Valley' for details see  here. For now I'm working my way through my own bookshelves and TBR pile. Apart from the book club read which is Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread, I'm continuing with some more Debbie Macomber books for the summer. Then I'm hoping to read some of the books below.


I've been watching the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency film and series. There are some available on You tube and the DVD's are available to buy through Amazon. I've read the first four books and want to read more in the series. For more titles and details in the series see here. It's such a shame that it's sadly no longer produced on TV. If you've seen them on TV you'll have met Precious Ramotswe the detective, Grace Makutsi her secretary sporting her 97% pass mark at the secretarial college and Mr J L B Matekoni the wannabe husband of Precious and local car mechanic / manager.

Thank you for reading, do let me know if you've read any of the books I've spoken about. Or leave a book recommendation that you've read. It's raining at the moment so having prepared tonight's dinner of lasagne, baked chocolate brownies and made pastry ready for the pasties for tomorrows dinner, I'm off to catch up on more reading.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your reading! I haven't read any of these, but I have a Debbie Macomber on my shelves, it is a Christmas one so I am saving it for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't blame you Amy, reading books out of season just doesn't seem right. I think that's why I had a sudden urge to read the summer sounding ones.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...