Thursday 4 April 2024

Cookery Challenge - 'Five on Friday'

Hello there, I'm just back from the WI (Women's Institute). I'm very pleased to have won 1st place with my Robin WYS Socks... photo on the side panel. The pattern is from Winwick Mum's tutorial on her blog here. Each month the WI have a competition, April was to knit a pair of socks. There's also a flower of the month too, you bring in a flower from the garden. The best are awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd. These two items each month gain you points that are totted up at the end of the year, for the March AGM. The competition for May is to knit a Helicopter in the Lincs & Notts air ambulance colours... watch this space ha ha. 

I've challenged myself to cook more the last few weeks. I've tried new things from 2 x cookery books, a youtube channel that I follow and a lady called Karen's blog. 






First: These are called 'Ears', I found these on a Youtube video by 'Bayley Made It' I subscribe to her channel, she used to do minimalism but now does a bit of that plus knitting, makes and buys etc. I took these for the shared supper at March's WI, this finishes off the evening whilst the raffle is called and you get chance to chat more over a cuppa or glass of wine. The competition is announced during the supper too. 

To make the Ears, you'll need a sheet of puff pastry. Sprinkle finely chopped onion, grated cheese and 2 slices of finely chopped bacon. Roll it tight on the long edge. Cut the rolled pastry in half, then each half cut in half... repeat until you have 16 ear shapes. Lay them on a baking sheet and cook as sausage rolls. These are perfect with soups or buffets.   





Second:
 Tonight's dinner was a Salmon loaf, very easy though I cooked 2 salmon fillets rather than tinned salmon. As the salmon was cooked, flaked and hot mixed with the hot mashed potatoes and all the other ingredients, I baked it for just 30 minutes. It was delicious, I'd definitely make it again. 



Third: Baked some bread with 750g bread flour, 2 x tsp salt, 25g marg or lard, 1 sachet fast action dried yeast, 3/4 pint water. 
Next time I'd only use 1 tsp salt as it was salty tasting. I used butter as I have low fat spread (not suitable for cooking). 
The method that I use is in the Kenwood big bowl mixer with the dough hook. Mix on slow for 2 mins, then 5 mins on a faster speed. Then flatten on a floured worktop, fold the ends in to make 3 layers. Place in greased or lined tin, cover and leave to rise - double in size. Conveniently the slow cooker had finished cooking our dinner of Spaghetti Bolognaise, so I took the crock pot out, put and small china dish inside and stood the covered loaf tin on the dish inside. The heat helped the rise without being too hot. It took an hour to rise and 35 mins to bake, 220*c approx.
Recipe from McDougalls Better Baking cook book. 


Fourth: I call this Strawberry Fluff, the recipe is here. It only has 2 ingredients, a red jelly packet and a small tin of evaporated milk. Nothing fancy as it's typically a wartime recipe (no I wasn't born then). 
Make up the jelly and chill, when nearly set, whisk the evaporated milk, then combine and whisk. Chill in the fridge and serve. 

Sorry we'd started this and the bread before I snapped the photo!


Fifth: Easter nests, or one big nest as bizarrely I didn't have any cup cases left. Since not eating eggs, I've cleared out lots from my cupboards, including the cup cases! So one big nest it is! Cadbury's chocolate bar 200g (a Easter present from a customer), cornflakes and a packet of mini eggs. Melt the chocolate and stir in cornflakes in batches, checking they are all coated in chocolate. Press down gently in the cake tin liner, adding the mini eggs. Place in the fridge until needed. 

So on a high note of winning first prize for my knitted socks, I wish you a lovely weekend. Let me know if you are inspired to try any of these recipes.
Cathy x



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on winning first place for your knitted socks!! That's so exciting for you and a very big accomplishment! I love the look of all your food. I'd love to make the bread, chocolate nests, and the Ears, too! I imagine all the flavors along with the melted cheese for the Ears would be delicious - you cannot go wrong with bacon and cheese! I need to get back to food blogging myself. I've been spending lots of time in the kitchen as it's been a good distraction for me, but forgetting to snap photos until after we've devoured everything - I need to get better with that. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia, I often forget to photograph things too! Have a good week x

      Delete
  2. Oh congratulations, that's fabulous! I wanted to eat everything in your post, too! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, the orange Super Socks book is fantastic, a definite help x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! The WI group sounds like a good one where you can enjoy the company. There is also the opportunity to share interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. There are trips, a supper club and craft group. I sometimes go with them to the theatre and usually the craft group x

      Delete
  4. congrats on winning, how exciting!!! you have been busy in the kitchen - I need to do this in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, it was a big surprise to win! I find writing a blog makes for more adventures in the kitchen... recipe books can just sit there otherwise. Have a good week x

      Delete
  5. Wow - congrats on winning with the knitted socks. That's awesome! And your cooking moments all look and sound so tasty. Especially those "ears" roll-ups. Yum! Thank you so much for hosting. I always loved 5 on Friday. Blessings on your weekend ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie and for joining in with 'Five on Friday.' I missed the Friday link party, so it's a pleasure to start them off again. Have a good week x

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your win with your socks! How exciting. All your food looks delicious especially that Easter nest dessert at the end. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean, it was a fantastic moment! Thank you for spreading the word about the 'Five on Friday' link party. Hopefully more people will join in. Have a good week x

      Delete
  7. It's a long time since I've made bread, we don't tend to eat all that much now there's only the two of us so it ends up going to waste, I suppose I should just freeze half of it. Well done with your socks, I'm a big fan of WYS, my favourite commercial sock yarn, they have some great colours and designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you also like WYS yarn, apart from Winwick Mum, I've not found anyone else that mentions it. The local yarn shop doesn't sell it, two other local shops - one shut and the other no longer sells yarn, just fabric. I love all the ones that I've seen - the bird yarns etc.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...