Friday 1 April 2022

Friday round up

Hello there, grab a cuppa and pull up a chair.
What a week of weather we've had, from sunny to snow, hailstones and then sunny again. These gorgeous Primulas aren't they just bursting with colour! They were from my Sons for Mother's Day last weekend. I'm not very good with inside plants, I forget to water them. I think plants need more care than I give to feed and freshen their soil. Thankfully these can go outside after flowering.

I've been reading through a couple of book series from the library. Alexander McCall Smith - No.1 Ladies Detective series is one of them. This book followed in the list, it's really a collection of short stories including the detective ladies. Whenever I read a book, I find myself totally absorbed in either the characters or the setting. I guess that's the craft of the author to draw you into the world they've created. In this series the 2 ladies are constantly stopping for tea, Mma Ramotswe in particular loves her Red Bush tea. She makes the ritual of  tea seem the most important thing ever.
Do you find yourself lost and completely absorbed in a book? Do you like to try some of the food mentioned? eg Rosamunde Pilcher's books evoke images of nice crusty bread, with thick Brie on top.


I can't remember if I showed you the Crochet Amigarumi that I made. The 2 Star Wars characters, Storm Trooper and Yoda were from a kit online. The small knitted Haggis chap was from a Jean Greenhowe Scottish Scarecrow pattern book. The haggis was part of a Knit & Natter display for a festival for the C of E village church.

Many years ago I talked about diet issues, FODMAPS and IBS. I'm much better than I was, though I still have bad days for no apparent reason. Anyway before I was discharged from the NHS Dietician, bless her she worked so hard to help me, she wanted me to broaden my diet again. I'd cut it right back and hardly ate any fruit or vegetables. This is Sweet & Sour pork with peppers and high fibre foods such as aubergine with skins on. So far all is good, last weekend we had Spanish Chicken, a Hairy Biker's recipe. It contained lots of spicy chorizo peppers and tomatoes. Having avoided all those food types for so long, it was a delight to eat them again.

A before photo of our kitchen, the oven needed replacing before Christmas so the kitchen re-fit started earlier than intended. We bought the cupboards from a company called Furniture Nation. They can make them specific to your requirements if you ask. They had several options in solid wood, the free standing cupboards would've been amazing in a massive farmhouse kitchen. These are fitted ones, with kick boards and feet. We opted to Danish oil the cupboards ourselves and paint the doors. You could pay them to paint, oil or wax them. All the cupboard come ready assembled, you just fit the doors. It may sound expensive but for the cupboards needed, it was much less than the equivalent posh Wickes Kitchens. We just need to order the worktops, then the tiles can be fitted behind the sink.

After (nearly done) As you can see I love green, the doors are painted in English Sage furniture paint, the walls are Chalk white. There will be a worktop over the fridge, for tea making. For now, an old towel has taken residence. The sink is the old fashioned type that sits on top of the base unit, that was hard to source online as most sinks are set inside the worktop. The blind was from B & Q and fits in well without adjusting. They all seem to be blackout blinds now, so it can go from bright warm sunshine to darkness in seconds.


There's no utility room here, however this end of the kitchen has room for a small chest freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer plus food cupboards. Our previous house had 2 porches, pantry and a utility as well as the living rooms, bathrooms and bedrooms. With much less to clean and organise, I'm very happy with the move. 

A few cookery books in the kitchen, at this stage I've not rushed to bring all the books back. The Be-Ro book is a definite favourite of mine at the moment, the chocolate chip cookies recipe is amazing and easy.

Liking the open shelves for cups and glasses.

Angus at 2 years old. His first Summer with us and on his first beach visit, he was delighted to find an old rope. He still gets very excited going to the beach.


Angus will be 3 years this Summer. Nat bought him a new toy, a very soft stuffed branch.

Thank you for stopping by for a visit, please leave a comment before you go. I've been visiting your blogs this week and though there doesn't seem as many as before, it's nice to catch up with you all again. We had fish & chips for dinner tonight, with crocheting and reading to catch up with, I wish you a lovely relaxing weekend. 
TTFN 
Cathy 




 

14 comments:

  1. Your kitchen redo looks nice and fresh. I'm sure you are enjoying the feel of it. Cute Star Wars crochet. Those primulas sure are pretty. It's gotten hot here so have had to turn the a/c on and water all plants more frequently. Have a whole stack of books I should read but there are some I wonder why I even have in the first place. I've been reading much more non-fiction books lately. Someone I follow on YouTube is doing FODMAPS. I had not heard of it before. I suffered so much as a teen and into my 20s because of lactose intolerance, just like my dad and Pappaw. Thankfully, as I got older and after I had my boys, it got better. Plus, I no longer have dairy or meat products so hardly ever have issues. Angus is a love. Happy April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy, I'm glad you discovered what food groups were annoying you. It can take a long time to sort out.

      Delete
  2. Wow that kitchen is lovely, we've a builder booked for the end of this month, I can't wait. I am fed up of washing the dishes and now the overhead lights have gone phut.. we moved here last summer and knew before we came it needed a new kitchen, so we're ready for it now. I've just finished ' The Pavilion in the Cloud' a novel by Alexander McCall Smith and loved it, it was a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, all the best with your kitchen. We hadn't planned to do the kitchen so soon, however the cooker was on the way out. We couldn't just replace it as it was built in, though easier to clean, we wanted more worktop space.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flowers! I do better with outside plants as well though I've improved with my indoor ones (plants that don't like to be overwatered do really well around here) Your kitchen remodel looks great, green is my favorite color as well. Glad you are getting to add foods back into your diet. Sounds as if things are going really well. Looking forward to reading more of your blog now that you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't care for plants.

      Delete
  4. I do love these type of newsy posts. Yes, I'd love to join Mma Ramotswe for a pot of tea, though I've never tried red bush tea, I'm not very adventurous with tea as I've only started drinking it these past couple of years so it's good old builders tea for me. I know I should try other types too. Your kitchen is lovely, definitely the style I'd go if I had a new kitchen fitted. Angus is a lovely boy, I bet it feels as though he's always been a part of the family now, it doesn't take long for them to worm their way into your heart. Archie's starting to slow down a little now, he'll be twelve next month, but he can still act like a puppy at times and loves the beach too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, I can't imagine never drinking tea, I've always loved tea. We tend to buy a lot of Yorkshire tea here, I'm not keen on fruit teas so not adventurous either. I like to ring the changes and rotate boxes, so we also buy Co-op 99 tea and PG Tips. It does feel like Angus has lived with us forever, though I catch myself thinking... we have a dog, a beautiful Golden Retriever ha ha. I just never thought we'd have another dog again! He's a good dog, I mean he tries to be the best Retriever but gets it wrong and pinches things instead... slippers, tissues, hats, gloves and sweet wrappers!

      Delete
  5. Love your Star Wars makes, they are fab! I also love the No1 Ladies Detective Agency books, they are like curling up for a chat with a good friend, so comforting and enjoyable.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, the audio books are good too, especially the later series narrated by Adjoa Andoh. She has fantastic character voices that sound like the TV series.

      Delete
  6. Your amigarumi are adorable!! I have food issues and am constantly tweaking my diet and then slip back then I tweak again. I love your kitchen it looks so fresh and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I downloaded the FODMAP app which helped for IBS. It was about £5 years ago. Alana's facebook page 'A Little Bit Yummy' was always helpful. I often messaged her and she helped. Though Alana is based in New Zealand, she knew the books that London hospitals used. The dietician recommended trying a low fibre diet first but I'd already started the FODMAP diet by then.

      Delete
  7. ooh your kitchen is so lovely and fresh. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, I've always loved green and this shade in particular. It's fresh and relaxing, perfect for kitchens.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...