Friday 24 February 2023

Finish it Friday

Hello there, it's been too long. I hope you are all well, I'm going to try and visit all your blogs next week and catch up on your news.  I'm taking a long break from Instagram again. It's just too time consuming for me. I had a look in my draft section and found a few photos of some knitting that I'd finished last year. I've added those and also a few books that I've read and a photo from a family walk last Saturday. 

 
First finish: a pair of  Winwick Mum socks knitted in 4 ply Robin yarn by West Yorkshire spinners I took far too long to knit these. I just couldn't get the size right as my ankles are far narrower than the  average pattern fit. Starting with a much smaller cast on but knit for my size 8 feet was a perfect solution to this. Christine was very helpful with the fit over on Instagram (my account is temporary disabled, so not available to view).  

9

Second finish: another crochet wash cloth, I think it's a cotton blend yarn so it may end up being a mat. I enjoy making these as it's a small project to take out. Usually I can remember the pattern, if I've not left it too long. This pattern is a 2 row pattern, if anyone is interested, I'll write it out next time. 




Third finish: my purple jumper, the pattern shows how the colours have been altered. I omitted the diamond pattern with sequins around and across it. I made several attempts at the diamond pattern but it always look puckered. There were beads all along the edges of the jumper too that I left off. I like it all except for the neck, it's very wide and gapes open too much. The yarn is Sirdar Country Style with a small wool content. I doubt that the yarn and pattern is still available, it was purchased probably 30 years ago from a chain of yarn shops called Tri-Star. 



Fourth finish: 2 recent library books. Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah was a very emotional read as the secrets and mystery was unravelled. It was very good but I'm not going to read lots of her books back to back. I think they are all quite involved and in-depth emotionally. 

Partners in Crime is the book for February Agatha Christie read 2023. There is a discussion on the last Friday of each month on social media. I will say that I struggled with the book, Tommy & Tuppence detectives is written in 1929 so not only a different era, but lots of craziness for me. They enjoyed acting out different detective characters and pretend that the agency was very busy. I'm sure many loved their style but it wasn't for me. Incidentally I bought a DVD box set of their series and could only manage the first one. 

I also read:
The Library of Lost & Found by Phaedra Patrick
Malice in the Cotswolds by Rebecca Tope
Sad Cyprus by Agatha Christie - Agatha Christie's book for Januray
A Woman's Courage by Simon Block - part of the Home Fires book series following the Home Fires TV series.

                                     

Fifth finish: A family walk, in the photo we are not half way, but we finished the 8.5 mile walk with lots of chat and fish & chips before driving home in the dark. From the left: Nat, me, Mark, Angus (Goldie) Ellis (Ellis-Mae Nat's fiancée) & Johnny. Nat & Ellis invited us all on the circular walk to Cleethorpes beach via a river of  the country park. 


I need to dust off my camera ready for next Friday, I'm following a KAL (knit-a-long) scarf that is part of a church Lent course. So far I'm enjoying it, each section relates to a different part of faith (I think!) time will tell. I'm using up yarn that I already had, mine will be in various colours instead of a single colour. 
Reading at the moment, The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz Caroline from Coffee, Books and Cake recommended the series. I can't work out how to leave a reply on her blog, sorry Caroline if you read this, any hints please? 

Bye for now, take care 
Cathy 

 


7 comments:

  1. Nice to see you blogging again and to read your catch-up post. I agree, time can run away with you on Instagram, though it doesn't take long to post whereas it takes much longer to write a blog post. Swings and roundabouts I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back in the blogging world! Agree with you on the Kristin Hannah books, I've really enjoyed the ones I read but they are a bit emotionally taxing. I prefer the suspenseful thrillers I can breeze through and then more or less forget. Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your finishes the socks are lovely they look nice and cosy. Lovely photo of you and your family well done on finishing your walk, 8.5 miles is quite a distance I think the thought of the fish n chips would spur me on though haha, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellooooo! Nice Knits Cathy. I am struggling to blog too because I spend so much time sitting down either at my sewing machine or editing at the laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello welcome back! any social media takes a lot of time, it's a balance act for me!! lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello and welcome back to the blogging world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! It's so nice to see you back in this space. Hope to see more posts from you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...