Friday 24 May 2024

The Dambusters - Five on Friday

Hello there, hope you are well. Cold germs have lingered too long in my bungalow. First me and now my husband. If it's not coughs, it's catarrh... just fed up with it now. I've not been knitting very much lately, I need to get back to it. I crocheted some flowers and leaves, whilst on holiday - to make a brooch for the next WI competition. I need to start putting it together with some buttons for the flower centres. I've bought some felt for the backing and a brooch pin. I'll put it together and show it next time. 

Back in April we all went over to Hope Valley, Derwent Water in Derbyshire. We took Angus and Johnny, Nat took Ellis and her parents.  The weather was dry after lots of rain, lots of chat and a very good walk. We had a coffee back at the cafĂ© before leaving. We stopped for some fish & chips on the way home. 



  


1) Gathered for the walk - plus me holding the camera. 
We walked around the lower part of the reservoir, starting at the Dam. It's the place where the Dambusters practised for their mission during WWll 




2) The Dam - such an impressive Dam.





3) Angus - on the lead due to the sheep around and some main roads along the walk.




4) Village under the Derwent Water - the tale of the lost village is sad (photo: random people sat down). To build the reservoir, meant flooding the river valley, sacrificing the village. The people were rehomed nearby. In very dry years, the houses can be seen beneath the water of Ladybower Reservoir. 






5) Reservoir and Sunflowers seeds for the ducks - I took sandwiches and a few snacks for us and some sunflower seeds for the ducks. 

It was about 120 miles round trip to Derbyshire, the walk that we took was 7 miles. I'm not sure that we'd visit again, unless we were staying nearby. It's a lovely calm place, beautiful countryside with a vast amount of water. 



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. We live not too far away so I'm familiar with the places where you walked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've visited this area a couple of times over the last few weeks. We had intended on walking by the reservoir on our first visit but the weather put paid to that. I'd like to see the bellmouth overflows in action. It's such a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely walk. The dam looks impressive. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous scenery! Glad you had some nice, dry weather while you were there. I love all the ducks. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful outing that you shared with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely outing - and I love that you brought seeds for the ducks. I will have to rmemeber that next time I plan an outing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely area to enjoy a walk. I'm sure the ducks thanked you for the sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...