Friday 31 March 2023

Five on Friday


Hello there, How are you, had a good week? We've had odd days of intermittent rain in Lincolnshire. You daren't leave home without a coat. Thank you all for visiting and leaving a comment, it's good to hear from you.  

Library Books: 
Monday was the mobile library visit. I haven't ordered any new books this time, just returned books that I'd read. The top item is a DVD box set series of Little Women, I've not seen this before. My favourite version is (1949) with Elizabeth Taylor as Amy March, I must've seen it at least 15 times. I watched Emma Watson's version recently but didn't enjoy it as much.  

Finished: A Fatal Mistake by Faith Martin, the second in the Ryder and Loveday mystery. Probationary WPC Loveday assists Coroner Clement Ryder in more suspicious deaths, set in Oxford 1960. I'm enjoying this series, Trudy Loveday is puzzling over Dr Ryder's symptoms and wondering what they mean. He is doing his best to hide the onset of Parkinson's, whilst helping WPC Loveday to stand up for herself and be more confident. Policing at this time still lacked respect for women, who were seen as little more than tea makers. 


Books to read: this month, 2 of these are from the library. Library books can be renewed up to 6 times, which is useful, as I have other read-a-longs for this Month.
I'm reading Trouble in the Cotswolds by Rebecca Tope first, then Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie for the April 'Read Christie 2023'.
Also a chapter a day of The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel for the Bookclub. It's not my choice but it's nice to read different genre's, the beauty of book clubs.
If I get chance, I'll read Storm in the Village by Miss Read which is part of  the Fairacre series. Written in the first person, they are a wonderful escape.



Crochet Project: Once the initial set up row, it's a simple project of repeating the same row. I find it's an ideal project to take to Knit & Natter, no real concentration is needed, so a chance to natter. The pattern is on Ravelry, it is called One Skein Chevron Scarf. It's crocheted in aran weight yarn, however this particular yarn is chunky with one size larger crochet hook. It's 100% recycled wool and quite soft.   



Knitting Project: A KAL (Knit-a-long) Scarf for Lent, I heard about this on a friend's Instagram account. There are weekly print outs with a daily reflection, each week has a theme eg the sample was a tree which was knitted upside down. When I've finished I'm going to list all the clues, there is 1 week left to finish off. 



Beautiful Glasses: and a spoon holder for cooking, purchased today from Boyes in town. After a glass broke, I had a look in town for a new one... and came home with 2 different ones. There was limited choice in stock but below is a leaflet of other designs. Aren't they just gorgeous! 



I like the tulips, blue gerbera and probably most of the others designs too! They are quite tall and wide, larger than a tumbler but not as tall as a high ball glasses. There were gin glasses too like these, they are all hand painted. The Daffodil stock and gin glasses aren't with these floral glasses, I wish things were altogether in shops. 

This afternoon Johnny and I planted out some hyacinth bulbs that weren't too happy inside on the windowsill. All the ones growing outside have flowered beautifully. We also tidied up the edge of the grass on the driveway, it was spreading a bit. Then we spread some woodchip on the rutted up grass/clay soil front garden, that serves as extra parking spaces. Eventually it will be a proper driveway with shingle for drainage.

Bye for now, enjoy the weekend
Cathy  

7 comments:

  1. Hi! We also had off and on rain for most of the week last week. Yesterday was mostly sunny, but so windy. Today is sunny with very little and I'm hoping to get out for a walk this afternoon. Your new glasses are so pretty. Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your very interesting post and your photos.Thank you for commenting on my post too.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. your knitting is beautiful! I love our library and it's system here. We can borrow any book in the county and return any book to any library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, renewing a book up to six times would be nice. We only get 2 and not even that if someone else has requested it. I read fast so it's not usually an issue except when I'm too lazy to return a book. Of course, I've been reading a lot of e-books which does away with that issue. Those glasses are gorgeous! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are sweet little glasses, very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love those glasses and the spoon. They are so pretty.
    Also you scarf is lovely. A great way to use up small amounts of yarn. It will be cosy and bright for when you next need a scarf. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those glasses are so pretty. I don't often read fiction -- looks like you have an interesting selection of reading material there. A mobile library sounds like a lot of fun. We don't even have libraries here. And bookstores have limited choices because of censorship. I like that scarf and will have to keep it in mind for a future make -- though rarely use scarves here in desert country. Still, I make just for the sake of making most of the time -- not for any practical reasons. :) and am always looking for something easy. I think my craft group gets tired of seeing me make granny squares and hearts. ha! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...