Saturday 8 April 2023

Thrush Green - Miss Read


Hello there, I hope you are well. Today I want to show you some photos of our trip last October. I posted them on Instagram but wanted them together here on my blog, as a reminder of our stop over at Whitney, Oxford UK. 
We hired a motor home for 5 nights to visit family in Hampshire, staying in The New Forest. Breaking the journey, we stopped at Bicester on the way down and back again, taking Angus our Golden Retriever with us. There is a short walk in the campsite, handy for dogs wanting to stretch their legs. 


I've always loved Miss Read's books, in particular the fictional village of Thrush Green. It's based on the town of Whitney. Miss Read (Dora Saint) stayed in Whitney during the war, pushing her small daughter in the pram, up and down the high street. She gained much inspiration for the Thrush Green series during her stay here at Wood Green, North of Witney. Some places in the books, the author has added eg a school and a church at the Southern end, which she later burnt down.


I was fortunate to win a map of the area on a Facebook group live chat, pointing out key places in blue ink (real names in black). The Thrush Green series is my absolute favourite, I'm reading through the Fairacre series (purely fictitious village) at the moment. It was a joy to find the places circled in yellow on the map, I'm easily pleased. 







Back in the Motor home eating dinner, the news was on TV, we couldn't believe it... Whitney was on the BBC National News! The film crew interviewed people in the high street, business premises and finally here on the green facing the church - St, John's in the book.






                             
The Fushia Bush café: now named the Curry Paradise, is where the villagers gathered for a cuppa or light refreshments. I enjoyed all the storylines around the café, not only were plans discussed to grow the business, friendships blossomed and village life thrived. 


The Fushia Bush proved hard to find, we knew it was called Curry Paradise from the map. The place was so busy, we were guided by the bow shaped window, tall 3 storey building with a chimney. There was some searching up and down the road. 




Behind these bins (I couldn't move them - very busy high street) lies number 94 where Miss Read stayed during the war. 




We finished our walk down the High Street at this point as we needed to be on our way. Hopefully we'll visit the other end of the high street next time. 

Have you been inspired to visit places that you've read about in books? 
Do let me know. 
Bye for now
Cathy




4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your photos so much. And am intrigued by the Thrush Green series now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely trip!! I bet it makes you want to make more trips. I am hoping we get out more and explore new areas and towns near us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any Miss Read books but how lovely to be able to visit Whitney, the village which inspired her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not taken a tour based on the reading of a book, but I do enjoy very much going to small towns and going to the library where they will sometimes have a walking tour guide of historical homes and such. I do find that very interesting, learning about the architecture and who owned them, or what they might once have been, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...